Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Mexican Soup: La Especial Norte

On Monday, I went to La Especial Norte in Encinitas for lunch. The company I was with told me that, although this place offers typical Mexican food items, we could ONLY order soup here. I don't know if that means the rest of the food is just mediocre or what, but I took the advice.

The list of soups were numerous, and to be honest, I had no idea what most of them were. However, I had heard a lot about pozole soup since moving here, and still had yet to try it, so when I saw it on the menu, I went for it. My companion ordered an eggplant soup.

The soup was awesome. Unfortunately, I didn't capture an image of it, so the picture below is pulled from elsewhere, just to give you an idea of what it looks like. I was given a choice of pork or chicken, but of course I went for the pork. The soup was flavorful, full of tender fatty pork chunks and big pieces of what reminded me of Peruvian corn because they were so big. It was accompanied with a plate of radishes, raw cabbage, chopped onion and limes, all of which I threw into the soup, along with shakers of oregano and chili flakes, as well as a tortilla on the side. So tasty.

This is a stolen image from elsewhere since I didn't get to take a picture of mine. It looks a lot like mine though... minus the cilantro.

Apparently the version I had was a "red" pozole - there's supposedly two other types, one that is plain and white, and one that is green, made with tomatillos. And supposedly sometimes they are accompanied by fried pork rinds (so bad... yet so good). I am now on a hunt to try other versions now that I've experienced this yummy soup. :)


La Especial Norte
664 N Coast Hwy 101
Encinitas, CA 92024
(760) 942-1040

0 comments:

Post a Comment