Thursday, April 23, 2009

OC's Visit to SD, Day 2: Mama's Bakery and Pho Superbowl

Topping our list of lunch places to visit was Mama's Bakery, a fabulous Lebanese bakery in University Heights that has shwarma plates, Lebanese wraps, baklava of all sorts and other deliciousness.

OC ordered a manakeesh "ultimate" wrap - basically a flatbread with herbs, tomatoes, olives, mint and yogurt sauce. I took a bite and it was so flavorful and delicious, that despite the fact that I normally miss protein in my food, it was quite satisfying. I had a meat/spinach/feta "pie" basically all this stuff baked into a flatbread pita thing. It was also really really good. Because we are fatties, we decided to share a fool mudamas, a bean puree stew type thing that came with pickled vegetables and pita. Because we couldn't resist, we also bought a bunch of different baklava for later - pistachio, walnut, rose, and one I can't remember. As we were leaving, I grabbed a yogurt mint drink, but it was kinda salty, which I don't like. Luckily for me, OC did.

From left to right: manakeesh wrap, fool mudamas with pickled vegetables, meat/spinach/cheese pie. Also, that little plastic container in the upper left is a bunch of baklava we bought!


For dinner that night we decided to go to Pho Superbowl, in La Mesa close to where I live, because it was kind of a rainy cold day. I love pho, and one of the great things about San Diego is that Vietnamese food is in abundance. I ordered a combination pho, which includes thinly sliced beef, beef balls, tendon, tripe and flank, while OC just got the flank + sliced beef pho. So good with a few squirts of hot sauce, hoisin sauce and sriracha sauce, a squeeze of lime and some chilis! We also each ordered a hot milk tea each. Soup + hot milk tea completely hits the spot on a cold day!



Combo pho. Num.

Full and satiated, we went out in the rain to go home.



Mama's Bakery
4237 Alabama St
San Diego, CA 92104
(619) 688-0717

Pho Superbowl
8342 Parkway Drive
La Mesa, CA 91942
(619) 469-8984

0 comments:

Post a Comment