Thursday, April 23, 2009

OC's Visit to SD, Day 4: Farmhouse Cafe and Muzita

Day 4 was Easter Sunday, which meant brunch time! Since we'd gone to Urban Solace for lunch the day before, I didn't want to go back, even though I've been curious about their Bluegrass Brunch. Instead, I took her to Farmhouse Cafe, a French bistro on Adams, which I think is one of the best valued restaurants I've been too in SD. My family and I went there for dinner over the winter, and the food was really good, and really well-priced. Then again, I'm comparing to NYC prices though, so who knows.

I ordered the eggs en cocotte, which is basically eggs in a tomato-parmesan sauce baked in this crock, accompanied with rustic toast and potatoes. I hadn't thought of ever cooking eggs in this way and really enjoyed it. The toast was really crusty and nice too. Also, because I like having protein with my brunch, I ordered a side of chicken sausage. To top it off, I had a mango mimosa.

I thought the bread would be soft but it's actually crusty!

OC ordered the Easter special, which was a lamb hash. Think a corn beef hash, made of lamb. It was topped with eggs and mixed greens. I tried some of it, and it was really good. I love corn beef hash, so this totally won me over.

Easter special! Plus my mimosa

By dinner time, we were STARVING. We had spent the day at the Wild Animal Park, and after frolicking through the plains of "Africa", we decided to go to Muzita, an Abyssian bistro. I had no idea what Abyssian meant, but apparently it's comprised of Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine. First we ordered some honey wine, a really sweet wine served in a flask and sipped like sake.

Honey wine.

After ordering our entree, we were so hungry, we begged for anything they could make us in terms of appetizers. We were presented with birsn korosh, a lentil spread with fried injera chips. It was pretty good, though immediately after, our mains arrived.

The appetizer intended to tide us over in our hunger!

We ordered siga kilwa, which was like a stewed beef with different spices, and a zigini beggie, which was a lamb with tomato and onion. This came with hamli (collard greens) and alitcha atakilti (mixed stewed veggies) and a salad. All of this came on injera, of course (a thin spongy crepe-like bread). So of course as soon as this came, we dug in! Best part of Ethiopian is the fact that you get to use your hands! We ended up ordering more injera, thinking we could finish, but we ended up becoming so stuffed that we had to take home tons of leftovers.

All of our food on one big plate! It was so good...

The couple sitting next to us cleaned their plate. Or rather, I watched as the husband cleaned it. It was rather impressive :)



Farmhouse Cafe
2121 Adams Avenue
San Diego, CA 92116
(619) 269-9662

Muzita Abyssian Bistro
4651 Park Blvd
San Diego, CA 92116
(619) 546-7900

0 comments:

Post a Comment