Thursday, May 21, 2009

Getting my hands dirty: Boiling Crab

This past weekend, I went up to Orange County for Minky's birthday. For brunch, we went to Boiling Crab, which I'd never been to, but apparently is so popular on weekends that you have to get there before it even opens so you can secure your place on line.

The premise is simple but delicious -- order crawfish, shrimp, clams, oysters, crab legs by the pound, and they cook it in a Cajun sauce, throw it in a bag and dump it on your table, where you can dig in.

For this particular fest, we ordered crawfish, which came with corn and sausages, shrimp and king crab legs (they ran out of blue and dungeness unfortunately). We also ordered sweet potato fries. I got a shot of the crawfish and shrimp before I started eating, and after that, my fingers were too dirty (delectably so) for me to catch the rest of the food. I love crawfish and haven't had it in awhile, so this was really satisfying. The corn was also really good, soaked in that Cajun sauce. Nums.





Crawfish, corn and sausages all in a mixed bag... can we say heaven?

I normally hate having to peel shrimp, esp shrim with heads, but this was totally fine by me!


I was a little disappointed by the crab legs, but I think it's just the nature of king crab in that it's simply not flavorful enough.

No drawn butter here -- they give you little plastic cups of salt and pepper and a mound of limes to squeeze juice into them. I actually liked the lime juice dip for the shrimp and crab, just make sure to use lots of juice so it's not too salty!

This place is amazing... and I was told by the waiter that they're soon opening one up in San Diego, so San Diegans, keep your eye out!


Boiling Crab (multiple locations)
14241 Euclid St. #C-116
Garden Grove, CA 92843
714.265.CRAB

13892 Brookhurst St.
Garden Grove, CA 92843
714.636.4885

742 W. Valley Blvd.
Alhambra, CA 91803
626.576.9368

0 comments:

Post a Comment