Tuesday, May 26, 2009

LA Food Trip: Father's Office, Kogi Truck, Scoops

Last weekend I went up to LA for the weekend to visit some friends, and in the process got to hit two meals I've been wanting to have!

For dinner on Thursday night, we went to Father's Office in Culver City for their beers and burgers, two things I love.

We all got the Office Burger, which is basically a delicious beef patty with arugula, caramelized onions and blue cheese on a sub type bun. Mine came out a little rarer than I normally like my burgers, but the quality of beef was so good that I didn't mind -- in fact, it was quite tasty because it was so tender and melt-in-your-mouth. I ordered a beer which was dark and smokey and slightly sweet.


Beer and burger... nums.

Inside of the burger. So good despite it's rawness.

We also ordered a basket of sweet potato fries which came with tartar sauce to dip it in.

I love sweet potato fries!

On Friday for lunch, we stalked down the famous Kogi truck.


Kogi truck spotted!

The menu...

I was really excited, and felt the need to try every type of Kogi taco - 2 short rib, one spicy pork, one chicken and one tofu. All topped with a little sriracha and a squeeze of lime. They were all quite tasty, and I love having kimchi in my taco! I think the slightly pickled flavor and crunchy texture go so well in a taco... I wonder how it'd taste with my carnitas.... My favorite taco was the short rib, but I think that's because I've always liked kalbi better than bulgogi anyway. The meat in the tacos were okay -- it wouldn't win any awards at a Korean bbq, but they were good enough and I think the novelty of the Kogi tacos were just worth it. $2 a taco isn't too bad anyway.


The chicken and tofu tacos


I think this is the pork...

Short rib?

For dessert, we finished off our meal with some ice cream at Scoops. I am such a fan of unusual ice cream flavors, and had a lot of trouble settling on a flavor. Finally I went with strawberry lavender, because I love lavender flavored desserts, though I seriously thought about blueberry honey for a moment. My friends had a guava sorbet that was really refreshing.

Guava sorbet on the right, strawberry lavender on the left. So colorful and pretty!

It was a really successful food trip... like most of my trips to LA!


Father's Office (two locations)
3229 Helms Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90034
(310) 736-2224

1018 Montana Ave
Santa Monica, CA 90403
(310) 393-2337


Kogi Truck
Moves daily - check Twitter!


Scoops
712 N Heliotrope Dr
Los Angeles, CA 90029

0 comments:

Post a Comment