Sunday, May 10, 2009

Pastrami out of NY: D.Z. Akins

A couple weeks ago, I went to lunch at D.Z. Akins with my friend S., who I hadn't seen in awhile. I'd been meaning to try it for awhile since I miss my Jewish delis back home, and this place is supposed to be awesome.

I ordered a reuben, because I miss reubens like crazy. Even better, I was allowed to alternate pastrami and corned beef, which made the sandwich even better. S ordered just a regular pastrami/corned beef sandwich, which she said was good too. The sandwiches were ginormous, although not as crazy as Katz's in NY. The meat was good -- flavorful, tender, just good. The cole slaw was so-so, unfortunately, but they did have a jar of unlimited pickles at each table, which, for a pickle eater like me, was so awesome!



Then afterwards, we shared a HUGE brownie from their bakery case. The brownie was all right - drier than I'd like.



I'd like to go back though and try some of the more "Jewish" stuff, like matzoh ball soup, etc.


DZ Akins
6930 Alvarado Rd
San Diego, CA 92120
(619) 265-0218

0 comments:

Post a Comment