Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tacos in SD: Tacos El Paisa and Mariscos German Taco Truck'

My friend from back East was visiting, and so obviously, the must have items here in SD are some good tacos. I decided we should make two separate trips -- one for your traditional red meat tacos, and one for seafood tacos.

The first trip we made was to Tacos El Paisa in Memorial. The place is super cute, with a lot of outdoor seating. We were told to order outside at the outside truck type station. Neither of us speaks any Spanish, so the menu was a bit tough, aside from the obvious carnitas, asada and pollo. We eventually ordered a carnitas, an asada and one adobada and one more which I can't remember... pork shoulder?

The outside area to order tacos

We sat down and were immediately given a tray full of different salsas, guacamole, radishes and carrots, as well as a small plate with grilled peppers and onions and a cup of refried beans each. So good.


The tray of condiments we were given


A plate of spicy peppers and grilled onions... actually the peppers weren't too spicy, and quite nice to eat.


These refried beans were really really good for some reason. Smokey flavored.

Where they were grilling the peppers and onions.

The tacos were good, though the problem was that I had no idea which was which. We both liked this one taco that had a really fatty, melt-in-your-mouth meat in it, but unfortunately, I couldn't tell you which taco it was. I'm a taco novice, coming from New York, so forgive me.

Our tacos... I actually asked for mine without the cilantro since I hate cilantro, but this looks prettier.

We also each had a pineapple drink which was really tasty.

A bit sweet, but nice.


The next day for lunch, I took him to Marisco's taco truck on University in City Heights. It's basically located in this dirt lot.

Again, we ran into the same problem of not knowing what anything was. We wanted to try a fish, a gobernador and a marlyn, but they ran out of the marlyn, so each of us just had two fish and a gobernador instead. They gave us a cup of vegetable based soup, then we sat down at one of the two picnic tables in the lot and waited for our names to be called.


Taco truck!

The menu neither of us could really decipher.

The soup was really nice. It had cabbage and celery floating in it, was light and a little bit spicy, and a really good way to kick off the meal.

The soup... complimentary!

The fish tacos were AWESOME. Maybe a little more batter than I'd like, but beyond that, so freaking crispy and light and perfect. But I might say that this is the best fish taco I've had in San Diego. Or ever. The gobernador was good, though I kind of wished for the fish to be chopped up so it was easier to eat.

So good...

Overall, really good, and I wish I had known what the other things were so I could have tried them.

The problem with both these places is that they don't really speak English, so communication is a little bit of a struggle, but they're both really inexpensive and worth taking the trip to!



Tacos El Paisa
3096 National Ave
San Diego, CA 92113

Marisco's German Taco Truck 3
3504 University Ave
San Diego, CA 92104
(619) 392-2351

1 comments:

Masa Assassin said...

yummm well for self proclaimed taco novices you sure did well on the places you picked. You managed to get me craving a few tacos today :)

Post a Comment