Thursday, June 18, 2009

Dessert in Hillcrest: Uncle Biff's and Babycakes (again)

When we were walking around Hillcrest, CJ insisted we stop by "the best cookie place ever". Apparently this place is the not-much-to-look-at Uncle Biff's, whose racks of cookies are fresh and delicious. I had some butter toffee nut cookie thing, which was so good and melty and soft. What I appreciated about this place is how they offer you the ones that came straight out of the oven, though it makes me wonder who ends up buying the ones that are sitting in the glass. Not that I'm complaining. The cookies tasted just like mom's homemade.





Then later I had to buy a cupcake from Babycakes. Because you know, every time I'm in Hillcrest, I have to. They had a new flavor! Blueberry! And all I can say is, it is amazing. Blueberry cake with blueberry filling. Babycakes, in my opinion, has the best cupcakes in all of San Diego. They are large and moist and never overly sweet. So good.



Speaking of cupcakes, I also managed to try Heavenly Cupcake for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I had their orange chip one, which was very good. Their cupcakes are on the smaller side though. A few days later, I picked up the banana chip one which was also tasty, only it reminded me more of banana bread/muffin than a cupcake. Their cupcakes are good, but I still think Babycakes takes the cake (har har har).




Uncle Biff's
650 University Ave
San Diego, CA 92103
(619) 291-2433

Babycakes
3766 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92103
(619) 296-4173

Heavenly Cupcake
518 6th Ave
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 235-9235

3 comments:

Little Miss Contrary said...

I've been meaning to try Babycakes because there are just so few cupcakeries in San Diego, let alone a good one. I definitely will try Babycakes per your review!

angelle said...

i really love babycakes. it's such a friendly environment, and they have such delicious cupcakes! it's a great place to work during the day, and apparently at night, they serve alcohol. the guy working there was telling me about some buy a glass of wine, get a free cupcake deal that they have! you def have to check it out! i love it!

bien_nourri said...

wow, I didn't even know babycakes existed! Uncle Biff's is one of my go-to's in the area but I'm excited for a new cupcake place to try! And with wine, sounds nice! Hi there btw, I'm a new food blogger in the area :), just getting my bearings with this whole thing.

Post a Comment