Wednesday, June 24, 2009

To share: Bite

Minky and I met up for dinner on Saturday night. I had been meaning to try Bite in Hillcrest, which I passed by every time I went to Mama Testa's. We both love small plates because it means more food to try for everybody!

The amuse bouche, compliments from the chef was a crunchy bit of toast (I know this is the wrong word, but I'm totally blanking right now) with a salmon spread and cherry tomato. Very tasty.


Next up, we ordered dates stuffed with gorgonzola wrapped in bacon. These were very good. The bacon was crunchy, the gorgonzola just soft enough.


Swordfish bites with a yogurt tzatziki sauce. The swordfish was very firm, the way it should be, though the whole thing didn't really come together for me. I like swordfish, I like tzatziki, and it was fine, but it didn't seem like it meshed the way it was supposed to.


This was eggplant, yellow beets and spicy boursin cheese. This was really yummy. The eggplant and beets were so mild and nice, and with the cheese this all came together really well.


This was a duck confit salad with mango over greens. I love duck confit and this was good, though a tad on the salty side for me.


Duck pate with assorted fixins. It came with toast and crackers. Good and rich. Very solid, though by then we were getting pretty full.


Dessert was bread pudding with blueberry sorbet. Really really good. I loved the sorbet especially.


I forgot to mention that we had their red sangria, which was really tasty, though pretty watered down.

Overall, I'd say that the cuisine here is solid and better than average, though definitely not falling into the upper limits of creativity or fine dining (compared to say, Whisk n Ladle). But I love the ambience of the place and I love shared plates. I'd come again, though it wouldn't make my favorites list.


Bite
1417 University Ave
San Diego, CA 92103
619.299.BITE

0 comments:

Post a Comment