Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Napa Valley Day 2: Risibisi and Redd

Day 2. We decided to venture into Petaluma to check out the town. We had lunch at an Italian restaurant overlooking the harbor called Risibisi. Very cute. Since we had early dinner reservations, we decided to go light.

We started off with bruschetta. The tomatoes on this were fantastic. Sweet and flavorful.



Then I had a salad with avocado, bay shrimp, grapefruit and yellow tomatoes with a light citrus vinagrette. Light and summery and just what I wanted.



My mom had the crabcake salad. She said it was good, but she wished there'd been less dressing on the salad and less remoulade on the cakes.



Overall, this place was nice. I liked how fresh the ingredients were.

For dinner, we went to Redd in Yountville. We sat outside in the patio facing a waning sun, which was nice, except for these two bees that seemed to take an unusual interest in our table and ours only. It became so distracting that we moved inside right before dessert.

To start off, my mother had the special salad, which was arugula, figs, plums, proscuitto and bits of pecans. She loved it. It was so bright and summery and colorful, and had such a great mix of flavors that I can't see how it couldn't have been good!



I had the lobster risotto, with watercress, truffle oil and a touch of lemon. Like last night's risotto, it was really light, thanks to the brightness of the acid.



For entrees, we each got the duck confit. This was offered in a smaller portion as well, which we did. It was atop a nice lentil bed that also had some bits of thin pork belly. It also came with foie gras meatballs, which were unusual but good. It had the taste of foie gras, but not fatty the way foie gras is.



For dessert, I got sweet corn fritters, which came with cherries and a vanilla corn ice cream. For people who think corn as dessert is gross, don't knock it! I love the sweetness of corn, though this dessert did make me feel like I was half eating some savory fair food. But it was quite delicious.



My mother got the summer peach "pudding". It had white and yellow peaches, sabayon, shavings of white chocolate, mint, fried almonds, small pieces of bread pudding and this light peach granita ice. She took a bite of it and groaned, and I asked her quickly, "Is it bad?" She shook her head and then declared it THE BEST DESSERT SHE'D EVER HAD IN HER LIFE. No joke. Throughout the whole time as she was consuming it, she kept marveling at how light and summery and delicious and perfectit was.



I really liked this place. The decor is very minimalistic, but I thought the food was quite good. I wasn't overly full after the meal, and everything was really satisfying and fresh without being too rich.


Risibisi
154 Petaluma Blvd N
Petaluma, CA 94952-2905
(707) 766-7600

Redd
6480 Washington St
Yountville, CA 94599
(707) 944-2222

1 comments:

moonrat said...

re: this and all the other posts you put up last night:

I hate you.

that is all. thank you.

::retreats to her bowl of oatmeal::

Post a Comment